Thursday, April 27, 2006

two weeks notice

My friends are starting to shame me by calling this "Andrew's blog", so I thought I'd better poke my head up and say something. Two weeks remain of my two years in Boston, and I am eagerly counting the days. Not that I haven't enjoyed my time here, but the things that I love can be carried away with me, and there are one or two things that I don't love that I am prepared to jettison. (I didn't mention the Tufts philosophy department. Did you hear anyone mention the Tufts philosophy department? Not me.) One must be circumspect about these things: no Boston, no Andrew. Enough said.

Needless to say, I am not going to be a political blogger or an intellectual blogger or a photography blogger. If I have a propensity as a blogger it might be towards the food blog... but this sort of thing will have to wait until my life in Sheffield and Andrew's digital camera. I'll leave all the bells and whistles to Andrew and trust that those of you who read my posts are satisfied with occasional thoughts from within. And my thoughts lately have been largely about change and transition and moving... what to take with me in the practical sense, and what to take with me in some other sense that I don't quite know how to define.

Here is a list of things that I have done whilst in Boston:

1. Learned to knit (thanks to Eleanor Howat and my tuesday night knitting girls)
2. Taught my first classes.
3. Found my philosophical feet, so to speak. (no thanks to the Tufts philosophy department)
4. Found my Andrew.
5. Made friends with Jessica Darling.
6. Been a graduate student/nanny/writing tutor.
7. Learned to make the perfect apple pie (thanks to Anne Wanderman)

I can take all of those with me. Check. So what is it that I can't take? Why is moving hard?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could start the "food blog" part with your curry, dhal and raita recipe, followed by shepherd's pie, and then that apple pie. Just a suggestion. Oh, and maybe those neat bananna flapjacks? Mmmm.