Saturday, April 22, 2006

Pretty Mundane

What constitutes news in my life - mostly thanks to my interminable PhD - has become alarming in its mundanity. I caught myself regailing my friends Jane & Neil (back from New Zealand, and lovely to see them again) with a story about the fate of a tub of beans last night. Just to cement this impression I thought I'd share the latest bit of excitement, which is that my landlord Nick finally came round to take away the huge pile of unwanted furniture that's been in our living room for about two weeks now. It's exciting for me because, well, almost anything that doesn't relate to philosophy is right now, but also because it makes our front room look vastly more spacious, as you may be able to tell here...



It's not that I never leave the house though. For example, wandering around Sheffield this afternoon in the unusually warm evening sunshine, I was noticing how many trees we have in our neighbourhood that have been sometimes savagely trimmed back, presumably to prevent them doing any damage to people's houses. I took this picture of one, later modified to black and white to emphasise the interesting, vaguely ominous elephantine character of trees rudely stripped of their limbs.



At least my weary academic eyes aren't yet completely closed to the world around me...

No comments: