Monday, April 10, 2006

Oh What A World

Grim news about the US and Iran in the British press today, especially here and here, along with Andrew Brown's piece for the Guardian today. An excerpt:

The reports from the Pentagon and the White House are somewhat chilling. Not only do they suggest the president is prepared to use a tactical nuclear weapon to hit underground bunkers, but that he hopes that "saving Iran" will be his legacy.

This follows on from Symour Hersh's piece in the New Yorker, whose reporting though unknown to me is very highly regarded by other sources I trust.

Since I'm not ready to live in a world where people are even talking about using nuclear weapons never mind actually using them, I've sent a short e-pistle to the PM voicing my concern. I recommend that any other British citizens who share my concern for the fate of planet, never mind the middle east do the same. And you US citizens? Well apart from voting for someone else - which I know many of you have tried, twice now, without success - it looks like it will take some kind of national uprising to stop the increasingly psychotic GW. Or you could just continue to pretend you're canadian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is absolutely terrifying. Up until this point I have been in denial, telling myself that not even a total idiot would start another war when already stuck in two unfinished ones that we don't have the resources to wrap up anyway. We have gone way beyond total idiot and, via the talk of nukes, onto serious psycho-dictator ground here...