Saturday, April 08, 2006

Spring Forward

I was thinking this afternoon about how best to write my first blog entry... Those of you who know me well will know my aversity to most forms of technology (well... 'incapacity with regard to' more than 'averstiy to') as well as my love of words and writing. So it is not entirely without some sense of wonder that I embark on an enterprise that involves the two together. I have a feeling that there is some very apt metaphor here for my relationship with Andrew, but let's not go too far in my very first entry!

Anyway, it is not long now until I move across the water to live with Andrew (53 days, or thereabouts), and this countdown is the inspiration for my post title. (I am so glad that I get to title my posts. I like naming things.) The pieces are in play. Planning a transatlantic move is a bit like preparing an elaborate meal with lots of dishes. You have to time things very carefully. When should I ship my books, and where? (storage with Mom, or Sheffield) What should I bring in my two airline-allotted suitcases? Can I bring my favorite tea cup, or should I just find a Sheffieldian substitute? I have found a replacement housemate for my apartment here in Boston, and she moves in on May 15th. That date marks the end of my time in Boston and the beginning of my time in transition to a new life. If only Andrew could somehow manage the logistics of the situation for me. He's so good at that...

It's sort of funny, the way that we divide up our time, isn't it? I mean, speaking of the whole "spring forward" thing, did you know that Britain moved its clocks forward for daylight savings time a whole week before the States? Andrew and I were six hours apart for a week. It was very strange. That extra hour makes a lot of difference in a transatlantic relationship between two academics who like to go to bed early. And I was reading that President Bush has met with his energy advisors and decided, in his infinite wisdom, to change the date of daylight savings time in the future quite dramatically. Is this how we determine how to divide up our lives? On the advice of GW and his gang? Political rants aside, I think it is really funny that we depend so much on the time and divide up our lives based upon these demarcations that seem almost arbirtrary. As to whether it is funny-peculiar or funny-haha... I am still working on that one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be curious about how you figure out what to bring, what to leave or store and what to toss. I mean, if it's a new life you might want to re-think your tea mug and try a British one. I mean, after all, they were drinking tea before we were a figment...

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I should have read this before I gave you another tea cup... what a pain in the ass I am. Oops.